Monday, May 2, 2011

Good Bye Chiang Mai & One Night in Bangkok

Thursday, April 28: Day 16:
Today I had my cooking class, which was loads of fun! We pounded our own spices and made curry from scratch. It was amazing how the spice of the curry cooking FILLED the room and made us all choke and cough. (more about it in the cooking class blog entry)
I took the Yellow Car into town at 8:00 am. I planned to take a motorbike tuk tuk to the neighborhood where the class was, but

I saw a bicycle tuk tuk guy parked across the street. Since it was just me this morning and not the whole Keeley gang, I could fit in his small carriage, so I decided to experience something a bit different. It was a great, slow 15 minute ride past temples, shops, and local people going about their day.
I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't find the kitchen since we took the wrong turn last night, but I did. I also discovered that when we got lost last night, we had veered right when we should have gone left and that we were only 3 blocks from a hotel where lots of cabs came. Doh!
Joe spent the morning with the girls at the hotel grounds feeding the gigantic fish and going to the playground. He finished our packing, checked us out of the hotel and caught the 11:00 free shuttle. They went shopping at a market a few blocks from the kitchen where Joe finally got himself a souvenir- a Chang Beer t-shirt. ☺
They had lunch together and Scarlett apparently gobbled up several breadsticks. Hey, at least she ate something!
After my class, Joe & the girls picked me up, we took a tuk tuk (which Scarlett now yells “Tuk Tuk!” whenever she sees one) and then took the yellow car back to the hotel. The hotel shuttle brought us to the airport for our 5:30 flight. We landed in Bangkok at 6:30 and the hotel there picked us up with a shuttle. It was a little annoying b/c we had to wait for about 20 minutes for other people to get on the shuttle, it was dinnertime and the girls were done.
We finally made it to the hotel and went to the restaurant to eat. The hotel is outside of the main city, but is close to the airport. Since we fly out at 6:30 am tomorrow, we tried to get as close as possible. The baby bed that they left for us was broken, they didn’t have one that wasn’t broken, so they gave us this baby bassinet that swung from side to side. Really? I had to squeeze it between our bed and a nightstand and tuck towels around it to hold it still so Scarlett wouldn’t get hurt by standing and flipping it over. Needless to say, I barely slept as I was too worried about her. We would have just put her in bed with us, but Audrey was already there.
In the short time we are staying in this hotel, we feel like we’ve gotten a lot of the “Uh huh. Yes. We understand. No problem. Consider it done,” attitude from the hotel staff, when in fact they don’t understand and don’t do anything we ask. Definitely just a language barrier problem, but I just wish they would just say, “I don’t understand. Please explain in another way.” That would be way less annoying.
We have to get up at 3:45 am to catch the 4:00 shuttle to make it to the airport on time for our flight to Hong Kong, so early bed time for us tonight. The city of Bangkok will have to wait until another trip when we can really explore it.
Hong Kong, here we come!

No comments: