Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Earthquake and Aftershocks


I have been meaning to post this entry for a couple of days now. (If you can't see the image I've posted you can go to the USGS website and map the location 10-degree Map Centered at 30°N,105°E) It was a 4.6. You'll see a string of earthquakes all in a row and a green valley to the southeast of that. Chengdu is located about 60 miles southeast of the epicenter of the big quake last week. Since we've been here, there have been several aftershocks, but only a few that any of us have felt. As Joe mentioned in the last entry, people here are scared and have been camping out in tents everywhere! And you have to wonder sometimes- we've seen people set up in street medians and a few feet from tall buildings. Can these location choices really be safer than staying inside? You've read our posts about how people drive here- I know I wouldn't feel safer sleeping with my family in a narrow street median! Anyways, I felt my first quake aftershock last night in the middle of the night. The bed shook against the wall and sort of sway for may be 30 seconds, and then it was done. Not enough to wake everyone up, but I felt it.
So even though we have not been in a hazardous zone while in Chengdu (what you are seeing on the news is several miles away), you all will probably be happy to know we are heading out of town today. The Lohmans and Keeleys are going on to Xi'an this morning where we swill spend a couple of days together exploring the city and sights. It is most famous for the Terra Cotta Warriors.

No comments: