Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last Day in Shanghai

Joe, Audrey & I ventured out on our own yesterday to wander the streets of Shanghai. We made it onto the bus, then train and found the area of town we hadn't seen yet called Old Town (the bus stops do not have English on the signs, but the subways are pretty clearly marked, as are most street signs). On our way we stopped for lunch at an Italian restaurant called The Gondelier (or something). We were surprised at how yummy it was! We made it to Old Town which is several square blocks of buildings in traditional Chinese architecture. It appeared to be mostly restaurants and shops, selling things from tea to jewelry to artwork and everything in between. Funny story here- in most tourists areas throughout the city people are trying to sell you 'real' designer handbags, watches and clothes. Also, these areas are known for pickpockets. I just take the 'totally ignore them' approach. We must have been approached at least a dozen times to buy watches and handbags before this particular gentleman came up to me and said "watch, handbag?" but I understood it as "watch handbag." and thought, "how nice of him to look out for me." so I nodded my head yes and smiled as he tried to show me his nice selection of watches and handbags.;)
We found our way back to the antique market and finished some shopping then got a cab back to Tim & Laurel's, which was an adventure in itself that I will let Joe blog about later. We had a nice dinner at an Indian restaurant near the apartment and retired for the evening.

No comments: