Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Worm Mart

Our first full day in Beijing (Sunday), I wanted to find some groceries to put in the fridge. We are staying at the Beijing HWA apartment hotel. It has a kitchenette, living area and separate bedroom, which has beengreat with Audrey. I asked the concierge where a market was. He pointed me in the direction of 'worm mart'. I repeated it to make sure I heard correctly and he said yes. So I headed off, walked for awhile and started to notice people carrying Wal-Mart shopping bags! I realized that Worm Mart (which I thought was a strange name) was actually Wal-Mart. I almost went to WM for the first time in 7 years! I of course turned around and went back emptyhanded. A couple of days later we discovered a great market right next door to the hotel (sort of disguised as a mall)! Why in the world he didn't tell me about it is beyond me. I think he thought that since I was American I would want to go to Worm Mart. Plus we've discovered he's just generally not very helpful.

No comments: